I just spent the whole day wrestling with the site's layout. Am I being too ambitious? Everything was designed perfectly, it looked perfect in every browser I got my hands on.
And then I sat down at a Wintel machine, and Internet Explorer.
Explorer refused to render my HTML properly. I had done it perfectly, but for some reason, it likes to ignore table cell dimensions in certain cases. Instead of nicely placing the box at the top left, I was getting an extremely long,
So I redesigned the layout. It worked better. But even as I pushed in one end, packing the site together carefully, something on the other end would break.
I exhausted all of my design knowledge trying to put together this look with regular HTML. And it can be done, just not in Internet Explorer.
So I caved. I'm not sure if this is even the proper way to put together a CSS site, but I've done it. I've built my layout completely in CSS. Sorry, Generation 4 Browsers. I don't have a copy, and I can't check. Sorry, Dillo users. The site looks rather silly without CSS.
Of course, I might just completely redesign it again. Argh. It looks so nice as it is, I would hate to do it.
But I don't want to have to mess with it much longer.
Update, 9:31 PM. I messed with it some more. It's now back in tables, not nearly so spectacular, but much more browser-compatible. *sigh*